Connect with us


Tulane cop shot to death after scuffle over mask at Louisiana high school basketball game



LOUISIANA – Police in New Orleans are reeling after the shooting death of one of their own in an alleged dispute at a high school basketball game.

It started out as an alleged armed robbery, morphed into a confrontation over a mask, and ended in the shooting death of a New Orleans police officer.

At 6:15 p.m. on Friday, New Orleans police were called to George Washington Carver High School with a report of an officer in danger, according to a statement. They found a cop who’d been shot in the chest.

TUPD Corporal Martinus Mitchum, pictured, was allegedly shot and killed by John Shallerhorn, 35, early Saturday.

The officer was later revealed to be Tulane University Police Officer and reserve New Orleans 2nd City Court Constable Martinus Mitchum, 38, who was providing security for a basketball game at the high school at the time, WVUE-DT reported.

The shooter tried to get into the school but was not wearing a mask, so he got into an argument with a staffer who was stopping him, reported WWL-TV. That’s when Mitchum intervened, the suspect shot him in the chest. Rushed to the hospital, Mitchum did not survive his injuries.

“The suspect pulled out a gun and opened fire when the officer, serving as security for the event, tried to escort him out of the building,” police said. “The suspect was immediately apprehended and arrested.”

TUPD Corporal Martinus Mitchum was allegedly shot and killed by John Shallerhorn, pictured, early Saturday.

Police arrested John Shallerhorn, 35, early Saturday and charged with armed robbery and first-degree murder of a policeman, reported WVUE.

Before trying to get into the school, Shallerhorn had allegedly robbed a 39-year-old man of his medallion chain at gunpoint as the victim sat in his car in the school parking lot, WVUE reported.

Shallerhorn then attempted to enter the school, argued with Mitchum when barred entry for not wearing a mask, and then shot the cop twice as he was leaving, WVUE said.

He put down the weapon and was arrested.

“We are deeply saddened by the senseless and tragic death of TUPD Corporal Martinus Mitchum,” Tulane University officials said in a statement. “Corporal Mitchum was a dedicated police professional who had a heart of service for the Tulane community. We have reached out to his family and are pvoding support to his ellow officers during this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and with all the fellow officers with whom he served.”